Wednesday, December 11, 2013

MICROAGGRESSIONS


Being white and all, I don’t get to hear much stuff like this, unless I start acting all Scandanavian.. But when my family moved to Detroit from Fort Worth when I was 5, and I started 1st grade the next year, the principal called my mother and asked if there was anything she could do to keep me from “talking like a little black boy”.

There wasn’t.
All little 6 year old boys from Fort Worth Texas, black or white, talk just about the same.

But then when we moved back to Forrt Worth when I was 12, I caught a lot of crap from my new classmates down here who tortured me over my “Yankee” accent.
“Yankee kid” they called me.
I had to forgive them and move on.
They were just mad they had lost the Civil War.
Some of them are still mad.


1 comment:

Waterbaby said...

No one can ever place me. When I talk I sound a bit like I'm from the mid-west. Except when I'm talking to someone from the deep south and I pick up bits of their accent. When I start speaking to someone with a British accent I pronounce my words more clearly and use slightly different adjectives. I've been told that I don't have an accent, I prefer to believe that my accent changes depending on the situation.