Friday, February 08, 2013

"THE GODS WAIT TO DELIGHT IN YOU"

About  of the last 4 or 5 posts seem to be variations on a theme, starting with a poem I wrote just kind of out of the blue, and then on to a Thomas Merton quote that was may have inspired the Secret a little.
In between, there is a friend of mine with a blog, we call her Lucky, and she told a great story about herself, and tied it in with what she does, which is to teach people how to be lucky.
She says it can be done, and I think she is right.
She quotes Emerson:
Once you make a decision, the universe conspires to make it happen

Lucky left me a comment, and I replied:

"...on a good day... I look at people and I just smile.
I saw three guys, tough looking guys, at the Latte machine at the local gas station. They were in coveralls, and they had all these beards and shaggy hair and beat up boots, and they stood in front of the Latte machine like they were six years old looking at candy bars instead of coffee, giggling and smiling and pointing at which flavor coffee they were going to have.
I smiled to myself, and I just wanted to hug them, and be in on it with them somehow, but I stirred my coffee, put the top on, and headed to the register. I swear I smiled all the way to the car.
Those are the days I know I'm OK."



Kristi said that that comment was better than the Merton quote, I dont know about that.. Someday, I'll have to tell you what goes on in my head on a bad day.


And that got me to thinking about this great Bukowski poem, and how it fits right in with what seems to be a theme running the last two weeks. I remember giving this poem to my son back when he was going through a pretty bad spot.

THE LAUGHING HEART
your life is your life
don’t let it be clubbed into dank submission.
be on the watch.
there are ways out.
there is a light somewhere.
it may not be much light but
it beats the darkness.
be on the watch.
the gods will offer you chances.
know them.
take them.
you can’t beat death but
you can beat death in life, sometimes.
and the more often you learn to do it,
the more light there will be.
your life is your life.
know it while you have it.
you are marvelous
the gods wait to delight
in you.
charles bukowski

1 comment:

red dirt girl said...

Happy Valentines Day, cowboy!

I delight in you. Though by no means am I a goddess ;-)

xxx