Tuesday, February 21, 2012

STEP LIGHTLY


I saw the dove come down, the dove with the green twig, the childish dove out of the storm and flood. It came toward me in the style of the Holy Spirit descending. I had been sitting in a cafe for twenty-five years waiting for this vision. It hovered over the great quarrel. I surrendered to the iron laws of the moral universe which make a boredom out of everything desired. Do not surrender, said the dove. I have come to make a nest in your shoe. I want your step to be light.
— Leonard Cohen


I found this about the same time I found a discussion going on between bunch of straight people convinced that homosexuality was sin and a bunch of gay folks that felt pretty good about themselves, but who were way outnumbered.
You know, watching a bunch of Christians trash Gay folks is really unattractive, but thats beside the point here.
I've said it before- if I wanted to be gay, there would be some gay stuff going on believe you me, and I'd be good at it too- to me its a choice.

It seems to me that the “great quarrel” is exactly all about whether homosexuality is a sin, and whether a white lie is just as bad as flying a plane into a building, and its Roe vs. Wade till Kingdom Come, and this whole long list of abominations to god. The great quarrel is all of this intrigue over “the iron laws of the moral universe” , where people think they know what is wrong and right in Gods eyes. And we surrender to it and we debate it and we quarrel about it to the point that we think it’s OK to “hate a sin”, just as long as we don’t “hate a sinner”.


But hate is hate. Can you hate a sin without letting hate into your heart?

And we reassure ourselves that we have not blasphemed the Holy Spirit, the one unforgivable sin, according to the iron laws of the universe. And the message just gets further lost.

And in all this, the message gets so lost and distorted, the greatest commandment that you pointed out, it just got totally lost in the debate over the iron laws, because to me a bunch of straight people talking about whether being gay is a sin is just a lot of intrigue that sets us further apart from each other.
And the greatest commandment? Its really kind of meaning less to me when it gots down to it.
Its the New Commandment that appeals to me.
Just love one another. Thats all.
Step lightly.



1 comment:

SL said...

Really love this post Bullet Holes! Thought I would share the following, it seemed appropriate.

"We’re all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn’t. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing."

-Charles Bukowski