Wednesday, December 21, 2011

TACKY, TACKY, TACKY!

I went to see Lyle Lovett at the Bass Hall in Fort Worth last night. Lovett was great; such a wonderful voice, great delivery of well composed music and lyric. His band was well rehearsed and quite polished. Almost too polished. There was nothing raw about the show, and I do like it a little raw.

Anyway, I want to write a little bit about the Bass Hall, Fort Worth's multi Million dollar centerpiece for the Performing Arts. I have to tell you, the seats we sat in may as well ave come out of an old Braniff jet. They were small and cramped and amounted to little torture machines.
And I won't win any freinds here in Cowtown by saying that the fancy-ass facade of the Bass Hall is overdone and gawdy. If those angels blowing the Lord's trump were carved from marble I'm sure it would take my breath away; but its not.
Its Fabcrete.
But hey! what do I know?
What do you think?

5 comments:

red dirt girl said...

The title of your post says it all! It would have been much better with some naked bosomed ladies ....

xxx

Kim said...

you're a mean one, Mr Grinch. They're limestone. But I'll have to agree that seeing Lyle was better back in the Caravan of Dreams days. And the older I get, the more difficult it is to find a comfortable seat.

Martijn said...

You have to see it in the whole surroundings, the building with its neighbours. Is this one tackier than the rest of Fort Worth? (Oh, man, be careful what you say and never piss a Texan off!)

Yes, well, I'm not a big fan of this building, but it looks almost ugly enough to start having some sort of love for it.

bulletholes said...

Yes, Mulegirl, I think naked women would be better, or if they weren't blowing thos horns.

Kim are they really limestone? because that would be better than fabcrete.

Martijn, Fort Worth is actually a pretty little city w3ith some nice old buildings with some really nice subtle design to them. Not that I'm an expert or anything. But these angels to me are way over the top. They hit you over their head with "elegance". Jackie Kennedy would tear them down I'm sure.

mobydoug said...

It's a dead ringer for a Mormon temple....including 2X the Angel Moroni, or is it Moron, tooting her/his/its trumpet.....