Thursday, June 11, 2009

NOSTALGIA


'Nostalgia" is what they were talking about when they said,
"One day we'll look back on all this and plow into a parked car."
west texas insomniac, in a comment from yesterdays post

I have a friend that plowed into a light pole in the middle of a parking lot.
He hit it dead center in his Dads 1967 Ford Country Squire Station Wagon.
Thats nostalgia for you.
His name is John and I saw him yesterday for the first time in 17 years.
He was sitting at a table with me and two other old friends in a restaurant and we had not all sat at the same table together in 35 years.
Thats Nostalgia for you.

I looked out the window and recalled the day 35 years ago that I passed by that particular parking lot and saw that John had had that wreck. He hit the only light pole in the whole parking lot.
Dead Center.

John pointed out the window at the light pole he had hit all those years ago and said:
"My dad came to the scene. He was all over me. Had me by the ear.
The cop said "I'm not going to write you a ticket, son."
Then he turned to my Father and said:
"Looks like you got this under control" "

Yeah, thats Nostalgia for you.
Dead center.

8 comments:

West Texas Insomniac said...

It sounds like his "dad" did have that particular situation in order.

"Nostalgia" has become synonymous with "sappy". I couldn't disagree any more. You know the way you'll catch a whiff of some scent and it transports you back 2 decades? I mean, it's so thick you can "taste" it...Or the way a song will come on at just the right moment, like there has to be some master-plan or it never would've been written? That's nostalgia too.

I've been spending a lot of time with people lately that I haven't seen in years. We've gone out of our way to make it happen and swore we'd never let so much time get behind us again.

One day, (with any luck) our memories are all we'll have left. Wouldn't it be nice if we could continue to share our lives with the people we experienced so much of our past with? The phone works both ways. It took me a while to remember that. tb

Barbara said...

I did something just about that stupid when I was first driving. All the adults including my parents behaved better than I deserved. I've never made that same mistake again and I'll bet your old friend hasn't either.

bulletholes said...

WTI- I am about to reconnect with a lot of folks from my past. There will ba a Perty of about 20 at Joe T. Garcias nxt Staurday night. I guess the average tiome since seeing the majoirty of them is about 30 years.
You know Joe T's...
You are invited if you can make it.

bulletholes said...

Hey barb! tell us about it, won't you?

Waterbaby said...

I was pulling out of the parking lot of a Pancho's Mexican Food place and there was a rather large bolder sitting on the side of the road, I don't know how I managed it, but I scraped the entire side of my car. Dad was in the car with me!

bulletholes said...

yEAH, WB, it was my Birthday, and they let me dance on the table!
That was a tough maneuver, where we were, and people don’t slow down and theres a lot of glare and you cut the corner too tight and got up on the curb where there was a decorative boulder. Happens to people all the time, and that boulder is in about 6 pieces these days, and has moved about five feet over the years.
You were so scared, and the last time we went therre you took a different exit.
Very smart!

Barbara said...

OK -- Here's my true confession. When I was 14 and had had my learner's permit for about 2 weeks, I was driving through the Piggly Wiggly parking lot with my white-knuckled mother. I managed to broadside a very cute little sports car. I kept trying to invoke that rule that the one on the right has the right-of-way. I have always been careful in parking lots ever since.

bulletholes said...

BARBARA, THATS GREAT!
Down here in texas, we call the direct broadside hit a "T-Bone"
You "T-boned" that little sports car.
I think you should have had the right of way.