Monday, March 02, 2009

TAKING CARE OF YOURSELF

Uncle Chuck checked himself out of the hospital the other day.
He had gone in for a trple-bypass in December, but they had to abort when they found his lungs in bad shape. They had him all the way split open too, barely able to perform even one procedure. He has had a few bouts with pnemonia since then and has become increasingly impatient with his doctors and progress to the point that he checked out of ICU against medical advice.

The X Mrs. Bulletholes wanted me to call him at home and try to talk some sense into him.
I wasn't sure what I could tell him, then I remebered a comment I left for my pal Ric O'Shay:

"I had a friend named Billy about 20 years ago that had a heart problem. He didn't change his diet or nuthin and so many people stayed on his ass for so long that he moved a long ways away so that he could do what he wanted... which was to smoke and drink and eat ribs and stuff without having to take a ration of shit from all his friends.
At the time, I didn't much blame him, but we lost him within about 2 years and I feel differently now.
I wish he'd have made some changes, but I don't blame him, and I just want you to know that a lot of people miss Billy.
And I added
You can do what you want, Chuck, and we will all miss you too, only you ain't got two years in you....you'll be lucky to make two weeks."

Anyway, I called 'ol Chuck to tell him this.
Luckily, I didn't have to...
Seems he spent a day at home, then decided he better get his butt back to the Hospital like the Doctors said. Those Doctors, they are pretty smart. They told him if he didn't come back, they weren't going to write any prescriptions.
Chuck said he will be a good boy and not do that again.
I just laughed and didn't say anything.

Ya'll need to know that Chuck might would listen to me. He has saved my life twice....
To be continued

3 comments:

Barbara said...

Glad you didn't have to play the heavy with old Chuck. Is he going to be OK?

laughing said...

My brother did one of those things on the computer where you put in your age and weight and habits and such, and it told him he had a life expectancy of 44. That was several years back, and he went on the Atkins diet for a bit and lost twenty or thirty pounds that you couldn't even see, but then he gave up on it. It was kind of a dumb diet anyway. BBQ isn't really diet food, whatever name you put on it.

Now they've actually told him that he's diabetic and put him on a real diet, but I can't tell that he's doing much of that either.

In about five more years I'm going to have to find someone else to watch the Sci Fi Channel with.

bulletholes said...

bARB....HARD TO SAY RIGHT NOW....HE HAS Hardening of the lungs, some kind of fibrosis and it generally is unteatable at his stage.