Friday, January 23, 2009

ME & GOD

"We came to believe a power greater than ourselves could restore us to sanity"

I am supposed to be looking for a God of my own understanding.
For years I have walked around saying things about God that sounded smart (to me) like:
"There is not enough data to support a conclusion"
"When you die you are dead a long time"
"We are carbon compounds and noble gases"
"I don't believe anything my senses cannot confirm"
"I am a Karrass...that is to say I seem to be doing Gods work without really knowing what I'm doing"


I like to say this kind of stuff, but I'm starting to realize that I can't really take any of it to the Bank.
It doesn't sound as smart as it used to.
And really, it hasn't exactly been working for me.

So what I have tried to discover this week is what a God of my understanding would be.
This is where I am starting:


The God of my understanding may or may not actually exist.
Right now, He is a God of my Misundersatnding.

That doesn't sound any dumber than what I used to say, and right now...
Its workin' for me!

4 comments:

Mike the Waiter said...

Dude... if you remember (probably not...i am so self centered!)...if you remember...I was hurt last september... and haven't been able to work since... anyway, at 55 years old...I figured I would use this time off to, among other things, read the Bible for the very first time... and although I'm only a couple hundred pages into it... my goodness...he's a scary, vengeful God.... wouldn't want to mess with this guy in a dark alley!

Anonymous said...

I don't have much 'sane' things to say about God. But that never stopped me before. We were brought up militant anti-religious, my brother and me. Parents fed up with Catholisism, the sixties & seventies when Theological Religion were replaced by sociological ones... God was 'complete nonsense' because HE didn't exist. That was the rule. Of course those things have their influence. My brother joined the Hare Chrisnas for a while, till some lovely angel saved him from their clutches. And I?... I believe in a God that doesn't exists... whatever that means.

Erm... if it works, it works.

martijn

Rick O'Shay said...

You got me to thinking. I do believe there is a God. I also believe in prayer. I'm not good at praying but believe others are and do have their prayers answered.

I believe I would be dead if it were not for the prayers of others on my behalf. However I don't think my faith strong enough to pray for my self. I will pray for other people if asked, but not I'm not sure if I'm heard.

If it's one's time to go then does prayer really matter? Maybe it just wasn't my time to go.

Does any of this make sense?

bulletholes said...

ric, in the program I am in I have found a sentence that appeals even to a non-believer like me....it says

"We sought to improve our conscious contact with a god of our own understanding."
I like that.
Its not asking me to do a whole lot, but I can see that what it asks for is something that may have great therapeutic value.