Tuesday, November 11, 2008

VETERANS DAY


"It is easy to pick up the rifle...it is hard to put it down"
Chief Joseph of the Nez Perce

I think part of what Joseph means is that it can be easy for a brave and courageous person to fight for what they think is right, and that once that path is taken, it can be difficult to find the trail to peace.
I suspect our new President may gain firsthand knowledge of this.
I don't know if I am brave, or courageous. I have never been tested in that way. I suspect I may even be a coward disguised as a peaceful person.

So today I honor those who have been in battle, and done service to my country in order that I may live in peace.

It seems to be almost a forgotten day of remembrance, Vetereans Day.
No matter what your feelings may be towards War, let us remember those who have honorably paid tribute to our country, and give a salute to those who are presently in earnest service of their Patriotism.
I doubt that it is easy to be brave.

In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man, and brave, and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot.
Mark Twain





addendum- I started to give a special salute to Citizen H and Dave Mows Grass, my two buddies that have served. After posting this, I went to check out the Citizen, and found a most excellent list of 233 reasons to love Marines and the Corps, and two speeches Citizen holds dear.
Go check it out...it will enlighten, amuse, disturb and uplift you, I guarantee!
Consider this my special salute to my bro's and anyone else deserving.

No comments: