Thursday, November 30, 2006

DANCIN' FOOL

"Haste thee, Nymph, and bring with thee
Jest, and youthful Jollity,...
Sport that wrinkled Care derides,
And Laughter holding both his sides.
Come, and trip it as you go,
On the light fantastick toe."
Milton

When I was four years old my Mother enrolled me in tap dancing lessons. I was the only little boy in the Class and I cried to and from it. I don’t remember if I cried during; I would like to think that I did not out of respect to all the little girls.
When I was in the Eighth Grade, I danced my first Rock and Roll dance to the music of Steppenwolf’s “Magic Carpet Ride”.
I didn’t ‘get” the music back then.
I was very awkward.
Two years later things were different. I had the Music in me. I found my Groove.
I don’t know how much it had to do with Marijuana and the little “Strawberry Fields” tabs that were going around, but I could bust a move on anything from “I am the Walrus” to “Court of the Crimson King”.
I don’t know if I looked very good doing it, but it sure felt good.(correction; I did not look good)I had a girlfriend, Jeri that looked REAL good dancing, so that freed me up to do whatever.
I could not "Shut the Funk Up".

The next year at the Halloween dance , I went as an Ape from the “Planet of the Apes”. Jeri was no longer in proximity to me for reasons detailed in "STAFF SGT. RENFRO" No one was dancing so I asked the Captain of the Drill team to dance. She watched in wonder as I whirled like a Dervish ,”Tripped the Light Fandango” and did “Cartwheels across the floor”. At some point I fell down and found myself staring up at the ceiling. Her face appeared within my field of vision and she mouthed the words ‘Are you OK?”
I just grinned and started squirming about.
“Break Dancing “ was born that night.
“The crowd called out for more”
Thanks Mom!

6 comments:

Barbara said...

This makes me want to meet you in person. I'm a total klutz when it comes to dancing, but I've got the rhythm!

Oh yeah, I took dancing at age 4 also, but I was not such a natural.

Kilroy_60 said...

I'm a dancin' fool myself. What can I say; truth be told The Horizontal Bop is still my favorite. 8-)

Mother of Invention said...

You are so truly funny and definitely charming as we all can imagine! Totally huggable even when klutzing it up! I ALWAYS wanted to take tap and jazz but didn't. I love stepdancing and have been to see Riverdance twice!

You are lucky your mom gave you lessons! She really "tapped" into your talent! HA! HA!

Anonymous said...

boy can I relate - after two years of jazz, tap and ballet, my step-dad asked my mom why were they wasting their money? I was constantly tripping over my gangly legs and big feet....!

but I enjoyed tap in college and was infamous for my uninhibited punker dance style.......now I just dance like a white girl......and try to stay hidden on the sidelines.

bulletholes said...

Barb- Maybe we could get our own show..."Dancin' with the 'tards".
Roy- this was far removed from anything Sege had in mind... more of a Drop than a Bop...
Mom- I could use a hug...
RDG- they have shoes with little suction cups on them that will hold you in place...

Old Lady said...

I absolutely love to dance. I do not care what people think. Shake your grove thing, shake your groove thing a ha.