Thursday, September 28, 2006

FOR MY MOM

"Old Lady"http://eclectictales.blogspot.com/ has a way of reminiscing that always jogs me back to the days when you could still sit outside and see the Milky Way. I don't think there is a moment in my life that I cannot recall; all it takes is a word or an image or a smell. Some of the pathways are well worn yet they are lined with both long forgotten, and often visited rooms.
Dad had an old Brownie Camera, the kind that the top unfolds and the image is reflected to you through a thick piece of glass. I think this one was old even back then. I was allowed to play with it for a time. I was 5 years old. One dayat the store, Mom asked if I might want to take pictures with the camera and bought some film. She put the film in for me and set me on my way, out the door and into the field next door. I asked her what I should take pictures of and she told me flowers. When I came back I had the camera and a bouquet of flowers. She asked what the flowers were for and I told her they were for "in case the pictures don't come out". She just laughed and kissed my head.
In the second grade we were allowed to walk home from school for lunch. Its hard to believe they let us do that. I always walked with Donna Hartlieb. We would part at the corner and meet again to return to school. Every day my mother gave me a Baby Snickers Bar for the walk back. I would split it with Donna on the corner. One day I asked Mom if I might have two candy bars.She inquired as to why I would need two. I told her about Donna. I'll never forget the look on Mom's face. "Why, yes, you certainly may!". (to be continued)
It was 5;00 A.M. when Dad got to the Southlake Police Department to pick me up. Other parents had been called as well. We were all 15, and Born to be Wild. There were no charges, just a case of returning minors that were out too late, driving family cars without the benefit of Drivers licenses, to their proper guardians. I actually had had a key made for my Aunts car; she lived a few blocks from me.
After arriving home, Dad and I "went over a few things" and then we went to apologize to my Aunt and to the parents of the several young ladies that had been a part of this episode. When we returned from this thorny but very proper errand, Mom was waiting with a present for me. it was wrapped in paper with a bow and everything. I unwrapped it wondering what it could be.
It was a watch. As I slid it over my wrist Mom said to me:
"I want you to always know what time it is".
God, how I wish I still had that watch.

3 comments:

Barbara said...

I love your parents. Are they still alive? Treasure them if they are. I'll bet every time you look at your watch today, you remember that gift from your mom.

Mother of Invention said...

Your mom and dad sound wonderful and I echo Barbara's comments. What a nice little boy you were to that little girl. Wonder what will be in the "to be continued"?

bulletholes said...

Barbara- they have been gone since'88...I treasure them still today. Yet another post springs to mind. Mom and Dad were 38 & 40 respectively when I was born.
Every time I'm ready to rake someone over the coals, or see someone that could use a little slack, I think about that watch.
Mother- My Mom raised her up one sweet little boy! I'm afraid the "to be continued" may not be as good as the intro, but we shall see..
Thanks to both of ya'll for your kind words for my folks.